$38B in a single day, on Singles’ Day
Whether you’re single or not, Chinese Singles’ Day is a hell of a shopping day! In 2018, Alibaba grossed $30B in the 24 hours of November 11.
This year, Jack Ma set another record, hitting the incredible figure of $38B in a day. He basically made more than a billi per hour.
Alibaba did this by further expansion of the number of discounted items, and also put a heavy emphasis on live streaming via its platforms to help sell goods.
Even online personalities waded in to help promote deals, with Kim Kardashian live streaming an announcement that her fragrance brand would be available for sale on Tmall.
Singles’ Day didn’t just benefit Chinese firms though: The U.S. was ranked the second country by GMV (gross merchandise volume) in terms of countries selling to China.
Jewellery and apparel were the most popular product categories from American retailers.
And while Singles’ Day is an event invented by Alibaba, other merchants haven’t been shy about participating in this new shopping holiday.
Not only that, but the event is now starting to expand into other countries. This has resulted in an increase in businesses running Singles’ Day promos, just like how Black Friday expanded into Europe.
These revelations suggest that Singles’ Day isn’t just a Chinese thing any more. Maybe it’s time to start watching out for it on 11/11/2020!
Cheers to a longer shopping season!
Act before you get branded with Google’s Badge of Shame
Later today at Chrome Dev Summit in San Francisco, Google is expected to announce some updates on how it treats websites that load too slow or too fast.
How? They are testing a badge of shame for websites that load slowly in Chrome.
How will this work? By looking at the historical load latencies, Google will flag sites that are guilty of slow load times. The Chrome team is also working on identifying sites that load slowly due to the users’ device hardware or network connectivity.
What will it look like? They are currently testing a loading screen (splash screen), or a loading progress bar that would be green if your site is fast and red if it’s slow.
If you’re still plodding along with slow-loading sites, remember that it’s not just this new Chrome feature that’s going to affect the volume of visitors. Speeding up your website by just 100ms has been proven to increase conversions by 1-2%.
🕵️ This 8-figure bootstrapped marketing SaaS company puts the spotlight on all its growth secrets!
We often show case studies of successful marketing campaigns but it’s almost impossible to see the whole long-term marketing strategy of a big company…
That is, until today! CMO at Ahrefs.com, Tim Soulo, shares all his growth ideas and reveals what is currently working for the company!
He does this every 2nd Tuesday on a new YouTube channel called SaaS Marketing Vlog and you can subscribe to it right here. We have to say the production quality is excellent. Didn’t go overboard and it hits the perfect balance between entertainment and education!
Today’s one of those days when a new video is out so you should definitely check it out.
If you are someone who wants to learn how a big, 8-figure SaaS applies performance-based marketing strategies to their growth, Tim’s videos are a must watch.
Banned Accounts & BMs: How to get them back
Yesterday, we shared a post about how to keep your compliant and avoid getting flagged by Facebook. To bring this topic full circle, we’re sharing this post by Alex Fedotoff on how to get your flagged accounts back.
He states that this info can help you get back your accounts in 70-90% of the cases. Sounds interesting, uh?
First of all, there are 3 main problems:
- Losing your ad account.
- Losing your Business Manager.
- Losing the ability to advertise on your personal profile.
The guidelines are politeness and determination:
- If Facebook bans your accounts or BMs, you have to be nice and admit you were wrong. Even if you’re right and they’re wrong, make sure you’re polite! Politely explain your point and ask to get your Account / BM / Personal profile back.
- Even if FB responded to your appeal and closed the case, you can still appeal and leave them a message.
- If Facebook doesn’t reply, follow up again with a different message.
- Show that you are going to spend.
- Show that you’re training yourself and your team to make sure it doesn’t happen again.
- Demonstrate that you know Facebook Policies.
Alex shared some message templates that he used to get his properties back. Find them in his post.
If all this doesn’t work, you need to start again from scratch: New profile, new BM, new domain, new payment method, new ad accounts.
Hopefully this will help you. Even if this is nothing new for you, we think that the messages templates Alex shared are still useful. Especially when you’re mad as F at Facebook and you’re struggling to maintain politeness!
- LINKEDIN: LinkedIn is looking to expand internationally with its rollout of a language translation feature supporting 60+ languages.
- FACEBOOK: Annoyed with these navigation bars and frequent red-dot notifications in your FB app? Well, you can now control your navigation bar icons and notifications.
- YOUTUBE: YouTube is rolling out a new layout for desktop & tablet app with an updated presentation style and additional control options.
- EMAIL: Are you preparing those abandoned cart emails for BFCM? Here you can find 5 top converting subject lines, courtesy of 95k analyzed emails.
- GOOGLE: Post-$2.7B penalty in 2017, the EU antitrust is still not happy with the way Google algo drives more traffic to European comparison shopping rivals. More changes in SERPs to be expected.
A man rode out of town on Sunday, he stayed a whole night at a hotel and rode back to town the next day on Sunday. How is this possible?
You’ll find the answer at the end of this email.
Cool tech, (funny) business, lifestyle and all the other things affiliates like to chat about while sipping cocktails by the pool.
Man-made shooting stars?
Have you ever witnessed a shooting star? How about a shower of shooting stars?
Well, no worries! If all goes well, we might soon be able to witness this phenomenon every weekend.
And no, we’re not talking about any reports of a horde of shooting stars coming to threaten our existence!
Like all things made by man, these are going to be fake shooting stars illuminating the night sky, starting this Nov 25th.
This satellite will launch small pellets that will incinerate upon re-entering Earth’s atmosphere. Though, they’re expected to look similar to slow-moving shooting stars and will take anywhere from 3 – 10 secs to burn away.
The “shooting stars” should be visible to people within a 125-mile (200km) wide region.
If you are excited about this, you can book your tickets at the company called Astro Live Experiences. They will launch a tiny satellite called ALE-2, which will then conduct a few tests before illuminating your night sky with awe-inspiring space garbage that ignites in the upper atmosphere.
Were you waiting for the perfect atmosphere to make “the move” on your crush? Served!
His Horse was called Sunday!