Google Analytics breaches GDPR, says FranceUse original photos in product reviews, according to Google
We told you we’d keep you updated on this…
The French have joined Austria in declaring that Google Analytics is “illegal” in the EU. CNIL, the French data protection authority, ruled that a local website must stop using Google Analytics since it violates Article 44 of the GDPR.
The reason: Data transfers to the US. The big deal here is that US intelligence services have access to personal information on European visitors. Google, according to French authorities, has not done enough to ensure that this doesn’t happen.
Clearly, EU countries are sending a message here: “We don’t want Google Analytics on European soil until they comply with our data transfer policies.”
The question is: Should you keep using Google Analytics on your website or not? This is what Google has to say about the situation so far. Short story, they promise to add more controls to data collection to enable everyone to be compliant.
How is Twitter doing lately?
Not that bad it seems.
Twitter has released their earnings report for the fourth quarter of 2022, Here are the relevant tidbits relevant for you:
- Twitter now has 217 million daily active users who see ads. That’s a 13% increase from last year.
- The majority of user growth came from international markets (15%) vs the US (2%).
- Twitter’s ad revenue for this period was at $1.41 billion. The majority of this revenue came from US users. Could this mean that advertisers don’t use Twitter much for targeting international visitors? (if so, it’s a good opportunity for getting low CPCs).
How Twiter compares to the rest of the pack: We recently reported that Amazon has a bigger ad business than YouTube. Where is Twitter in the overall picture? A long way behind.
Despite this, Twitter still has its own niche among tech founders, crypto enthusiasts and Elon Musk fans.
Affiliates have been making $100k weekly in 2021 with these offers
In 2021, Dating Group paid $100k every week to its affiliates.
Their offers have been around for 25 years… When you work with Dating Group, you’re going to promote strong, well-known brands. Just in time for Valentine’s Day and International Women’s Day!
As every marketer knows, a strong offer with a solid brand in the high season is always easier to promote…
But that’s not the only reason why Dating Group will help you hit the green zone.
They’re not an affiliate network… Dating Group is a direct advertiser. No middle-man involved, aka more commissions in your piggy bank.
They come with more perks:
- They have both general offers (like the Dating.com brand) and niche offers (like AmoLatina, AsianDate, AnastasiaDate). They also consistently add new ones.
- Budgets are as high as $20k per week.
- You get custom landing pages and creatives.
- You’ll have a dedicated account manager and full support.
In 2021, they generated 10k leads every week. If you can bring in good traffic, get in touch with Dating Group and start making some money.
Did Facebook remove your profitable interest targeting options?
Back in November, Facebook announced they were removing detailed targeting options.
But on January 19th, 2022, when they actually took action, advertisers realized that Facebook went ham and cut out more options than they announced.
Initially, the company declared they were removing targeting options related to health causes, sexual orientation, religious practices and groups, political beliefs, social issues, causes, organizations, and figures.
But way more interests were axed.
If your targeting capabilities have been impacted by Meta’s latest update, Jon Loomer wrote a piece to help you deal with the loss of targeting capabilities.
The first steps to take are:
- Use Lookalike Audiences.
- Turn on Targeting Expansion or Lookalike Expansion.
If this isn’t enough, keep in mind that Facebook became pretty good at giving you potential interests suggestions.
Here’s how to find detailed targeting options:
- When you’re setting the campaign target at the ad set level, type in a core audience that fits your needs in the “Detailed Targeting” box.
- Click the suggestions link. Facebook does a good job at suggesting related interests you can target.
- Go on and add another interest. The more info you give Facebook, the more the system can refine the targeting and give you better suggestions.
Unlock new hot audiences ready to buy what you sell
It’s not some media buying trick. It’s Grovia’s Concierge service.
Grovia will quickly connect you to influencers, publishers, or affiliate marketers that have already done the heavy work for you.
Partnering with them means putting your product in front of a hungry crowd of buyers. And there’s nothing to lose because you can get started for free.
181 e-commerce entrepreneurs reveal their top 5 acquisition channels
We spent 300 hours investigating which acquisition channels 181 e-commerce founders consider being the best
This helped us gather 100 examples of marketing tactics, strategies, and growth hacks, across a wide variety of niches.
We put everything in our January deep dive (free preview). But here are the top 5 acquisition channels according to 181 e-com entrepreneurs:
1) Facebook Ads (worked for 32 companies): Despite ATT, the bad reputation FB is building for themselves, and the slow user growth, Facebook is still the queen of customer acquisition for DTC companies.
2) Press (worked for 29 companies): Surprised? Well, press endorsements still drive people to buy from you.
The best part? According to the founders interviewed, you don’t always need to shell out money to get press coverage.
3) Amazon: Facebook is the queen of DTC, but Amazon is the king. Woodies, an online store selling wooden sunglasses that rakes in $250k/month, gets 100 brand new customers every day for a very little acquisition cost. Thanks, Jeff!
4) Email (worked for 26 companies): “Email has been huge for us too, which we know most stores don’t tackle.” Said the founder of Hush Blanket ($2M/month) .
How do you bring people onto your list? FlyBy, a brand making $200k/month, converts 12% of their website visitors into leads using a Spin-a-Sale popup.
5) Influencers (worked for 25 companies): If you can find the right creator, influencer marketing can be a hell of a channel.
And according to one of the e-commerce owners surveyed, you don’t need Kylie Jenner to be successful: “I found that more niche Instagrammers with smaller audiences provided greater feedback and engagement for us.”
MARKETING: We found the ultimate list of conversion-boosting experiments any marketing or growth team must try. 50 tests from different brands in beauty, travel, hospitality, fashion, retail, nonprofits, and more. All for free. Download it here.*
LINKEDIN: Sales Navigator is getting a revamp. LinkedIn has announced a series of updates to its infamous outreach tool.
GOOGLE: You might be seeing some cool updates to your favorite PPC tool soon. Google has released v10 of the Google Ads API.
YOUTUBE: It’s official. YouTube plans to go big on shopping, stating that they plan to support shoppable videos, livestream and everything that will make their visitors shop more.
MARKETING: Will streaming ads become more popular in 2022? Free streaming audiences will surpass their paid equivalent by mid-222, according to this projection.
EBAY: Wanna (re)sell genuine designer bags? Turn to the Japanese version of eBay, according to this article.
GOOGLE: Using automation and measurement tools will help you succeed more with Google Ads, says the search giant.
BUSINESS: This is interesting. Mastercard plans to get into the business loans business, collaborating with a few fintech companies.
*This is a sponsored post.
What do you give a sick lemon?
You can find the answer here.
Cool tech, (funny) business, lifestyle and all the other things marketers like to chat about while sipping cocktails by the pool.
This Valentine’s Day, you can send your ex to jail
Who knew that the funniest Valentine’s Day ad would come from a police department?
“Do you have an ex-Valentine and know they have outstanding warrants? Do you have information that they are driving with drugs in their car? Give us a call with their location and we’ll take care of the rest.”
This is part of the Facebook post the Port Orange Police department posted recently, trying to turn Valentine’s Day into Get-revenge-on-your-ex Day.
“This Valentine’s Day month-long special starts off with a set of limited-edition platinum bracelets, free transportation with a chauffeur, a one-night minimum stay in luxurious accommodations and professional glamor shots that will be posted online for all to enjoy.”
That police department has some top-notch copywriters, don’t they?